Sunday, April 12, 2015

Fairy Tale Writing Exercise

Original post at: www.paulinaulrich.com

I get asked a lot about what I"m doing when I'm not hurriedly typing away on a keyboard about my fictional friends.

Well, when I'm not writing novels, I'm doing writing exercises. I literally meant it when I said that I am always writing. Maybe snuggling with my cat once in awhile or getting an iced tea refill too, but that's beside the point. I know in the past I've shared some writing exercises with you. A few weeks back I was writing some short fiction stories and ended up getting another giant story idea out of one!

Lately, I've been re-immersing myself in the classic fairy tales. No, I'm not talking about the friendly Disney ones. I love Tangled just as much as anyone else, but I'm talking about the original stories. Grimm Brothers had written a lot of them down and I'm going even farther back than that to see the other versions of Rapunzel, Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, and many more. It's a really neat way to test out other aspects of your creativity.

The gist of this? For fun, I've been writing my own fairy tales as a way of taking a break from the novel writing. It gets me thinking in other creative ways! So far I have a story about a cat and his fairy tale adventures. We'll see how it goes. If you're interested, give it a try!

Sending out good writing vibes everywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment