Friday, August 31, 2012

Interview with my Photographer: Lindsay!

Is it just me or has this week felt super long? Maybe it's just me. Yesterday was a good day but the other days...stressful! Been writing my brains out. Last night, I breached over 100,000 words for Fair Feathered. Call me crazy but I'm nowhere near being done. I still have another 50-75,000 words to go before I will be remotely satisfied with this novel. It's epic.

But today's post isn't about the words in my book, its about the picture taken for the outside of the book! Courtesy of my long time photographer friend, the two people holding hands turned out to be a great picture!! I thought that out of the kindness of my heart I would interview her because she's really super fantastic at photography and just also an all around awesome person. Just saying! Lindsay and I go way back...like all the way back to the 5th grade. Talk about knowing one another for a long time!



Me: Hey girl thanks for stopping by. So minus the fact that I’ve known you forever, when did you really decide photography was what you enjoyed doing?
Lindsay: Well, I actually have your wonderful cover-designer Adrienne to thank for sparking my interest (it really is a small world)! One fateful day back in ninth grade, she suggested I take VisCom (visual communications) with her. Since I was in a business class at the time that I desperately wanted out of, I changed my schedule around and ended up in a class all about photography, video-making, and graphic design. It was in that class that I realized how powerful photographs can be and how much fun it is to create and share those images. And the rest, they say, is history!


Me: Is there anything particular you like to photograph? People? Plants? Other stuff?
Lindsay: I really love portrait photography. It's a common interest among photographers, but people really are one of THE most interesting subjects to shoot. All the emotion and variety that can be found in each and every person is fascinating, and when you get a photo right, it is so rewarding for the photographer and the subject. I've been an assistant at a couple weddings and whatnot, and those are prime events for capturing special moments that people will treasure forever! I especially like to take photos of children, because of their carefree nature and how silly they can be. And they're adorable, too. :)


Me: Would you say that since you’ve started, you’ve matured as a photographer? Like the stuff now is wayyyy better than what it was in the beginning? Or are you just all equal parts of awesome?
Lindsay: Oh, definitely. As much as I'd like to say I've been epic from the beginning, I have NOT been. Looking back at the photos from ninth grade (which I was so proud of at the time) I can see how much I have learned; looking at photos other photographers (with more experience and talent) have taken, I can see how much I still have to improve! It's inspiring from both sides though, because you can really never stop learning when it comes to art. There are always new challenges and it's fun to explore all the options available.


Me: Are there any particulars you love about photography?
Lindsay: Hmm... EVERYTHING! Haha, just kidding. But there are so many great things about it. I love the power a really good photograph has. That feeling of capturing that perfect moment is indescribable. I love the feel of the camera in my hands, of being excited to make the images in my head into a reality that I can share with others, of setting out for a photoshoot and knowing there is potential to learn and grow from each experience. Photography as an art is just fun and exciting for me. I guess the best way to describe it would be to call it my "creative outlet"; anyone who has a passion for drawing, sculpting, painting, writing (*wink wink*), etc. will know the feeling!


Me: Obviously not everyone can take an epic picture for a book cover (trust me, me and the camera aren’t too keen when it comes to making something look awesome), did you do anything to prepare when working with the models? What suggestions did you make to capture such a significant picture?
Lindsay: Well you and I spent a LOT of time discussing the potential cover and I just wanted to make the picture in your head into something tangible! I tried to take a variety of shots during the time we had so you'd have some choices, and spent some time on different edits to get just the right look. :)


Me: How was it working with the models? I thought they were great. So cooperative! ;-)
Lindsay: The models were fantastic (once they both showed up, haha), yes! Very willing to take direction and put up with my suggestions. I was impressed by their cooperation; it definitely made the session easy and fast, and there was lots of laughter involved thanks to their easy-going attitudes!


Me: Without giving away too much, do you think that this picture will represent the book well? I mean, the picture turned out so amazing. I’m happy with it!
Lindsay: As I said before, we've spent SO much time discussing what you wanted the photo to convey. The trials faced by Livy and Gregory so far have proven their absolute devotion to each other in hard times, and this cover is really meant to reinforce that idea. No matter what life throws at them, they will face it together and draw strength from each other.


Me: Is there anything you do to get yourself ready to photograph? Like is there a moment where you take five minutes to get serious or do you just snap away?
Lindsay: Obviously I have to test the lighting and make adjustments to settings and all that boring technical stuff, but beyond that I just try to picture what I want out of the shoot and then do what it takes to turn that mental image into something everyone can see!


Me: What editing programs do you like using best with your giant camera? What kind of camera do you use?
Lindsay: I have a Canon Rebel XTI currently, which I love, and I generally use Lightroom and/or an Adobe Photoshop program for my editing.


Me: What is the best photography advice you’ve gotten? What advice would you give to others?
Lindsay: Hmm... I think the best advice I've gotten is to take chances, and I'd definitely pass that along to others. Look at things from odd angles, get on the floor, stand on tables, zoom in/out, mess with the colors, try out new settings. Make something ordinary into something extraordinary. Do what hasn't been done and don't try to simply imitate other photographers. All the technical stuff will come with time and practice but creativity is something that should ALWAYS be put into a photo. Take your camera everywhere and take pictures of everything. Then you always have something to do when you're bored! And also... remember to take your lens cap off ;)


Thanks so much for hanging out on the blog today Lindsay! I would post a picture of the two of us on here but considering that most of the pictures we take together are silly ones, I'd rather not. But just know she is awesome and I'm sure more of her work will come to be posted on the covers of my books!

Yay for epic friends with loads of talent!!


No comments:

Post a Comment